The Academy of Innovation is a one-of-a-kind multi-year program for girls 13-15 that provides exciting and unique opportunities in the world of STEM.
Members of this prestigious Academy:
- Participate in exciting hands-on workshops and activities in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM);
- Present their discoveries to and mentor younger Girl Scouts at programs throughout the year.
- Take excursions for behind-the-scenes experiences at a host of venues, such as Brookhaven National Laboratory, Long Island Aquarium & Exhibition Center, local radio stations, and more.
- Meet experts in the field and explore STEM-related career paths.
- Tell their story and share their experiences with the community through speaking engagements, media events, videos, and social networking.
The Academy considers for admission registered Girl Scouts between the ages of 13-15. Each Academy class is limited to 24 students.
Now Accepting Applications - Apply Here
The following is mandatory for all Academy students:
- Complete CIT or Program Aide Training, as appropriate;
- Present STEM activities to younger Girl Scouts on at least three occasions, at least one being a GSSC-sponsored program, such as Summer Camp or Camp Adventure;
- Attend behind-the-scenes excursions to explore STEM-related activities;
- Design and implement a STEM project;
- Additional requirements as presented.
Academy Members can register for these meetings and tours online!
- Academy Visit - Suffolk County Water Authority Lab & Testing Site Tour
Wednesday, November 9, at Suffolk County Water Authority Education Center from 4-5PM
It’s easy to take clean water for granted--turn on a faucet and presto! Clean water! Learn how this happens with an exclusive behind-the-scenes tour of the lab and testing site of the Suffolk County Water Authority. Speak with technicians and observe a demonstration of a sample water collection. RSVP by Wednesday, November 16.
- Academy Meeting - Introduction to Barcode LI
Saturday, November 19, at JLFC, Camp Edey from 3-4:30PM
Don’t miss this chance to experience Barcode Long Island! What is Barcode Long Island? Explore the understanding of the interaction between humans and the natural environment with Barcode Long Island! (BLI). Work in teams and use DNA barcoding to explore, document, and track the biodiversity on and around Long Island. Register by Wednesday, November 16.
- Academy Visit - Long Island MacArthur Airport - December
More information coming soon! Long Island MacArthur Airport
Get a sneak peek into the Long Island Civil AirPatrol its function. Tour a flight aircraft and control tower, and see how Aerospace programs use advanced technology to “Get the Job Done”.
- Academy Meeting - A Girl Scout for Life (Guest Speaker) - December
More information coming soon! STEM Center, Camp Sobaco
Meet Girl Scout for Life, Jennifer Schrand! Currently a Ph. D candidate in Pharmacology at Stony Brook University, Jennifer’s studies focus on how chemical agents (both natural and synthetic) affect biological systems. Learn what goes on in the lab before pharmaceuticals become available for consumption.
- Academy Visit - Learn How The Heart Works - January
More information coming soon! Stony Brook University
Dissect a cow’s heart and see how the heart functions! Learn about heart-healthy practices and more!
- Academy Meeting - Sharing What We Have Learned (Guest Speaker)
Saturday, January 21 at the STEM Center, Camp Sobaco from 3-4:30PM
Take the next step in your journey as an Academy of Innovation STEM Apprentice, as you prepare to share your experiences with younger Girl Scouts! Meet Christine Tordahl, Marine Program Educator at the Cornell Cooperative Extension, and learn how she shares her love of Marine Biology with kids of all ages. RSVP by Wednesday, January 18.
Click the photo to view